[Ocaml-biz] Re: [Caml-list] Estimating the size of the ocaml community

Martin Jambon martin_jambon at emailuser.net
Wed Feb 2 14:23:03 PST 2005

(continued on the ocaml-biz list in order to avoid the usual complaints)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Yaron Minsky wrote:

> - Some schools teach ocaml.  Brown and Caltech apparently have intro ocaml
>   courses.  Any other places that teach the language?  Any ideas on how many
>   students go through these courses?

In France it is taught a lot (I mean a lot more than necessary to make it
popular in the industry). Some other people definitely know this more
precisely than me.

> - A few companies use ocaml, including Baretta DE&IT, Dassault Aviation,
>   LexiFi, Artisan (which has been bought up by AMD?)  Anyone know of other
>   such companies?  It would be interesting to get a list togther of companies
>   that use ocaml significantly.

I just discovered that one (Henry Capital):
  http://janestcapital.com/careers.html#quant

And MEDIT, the company which sells my PhD project (SuMo, around 35K
lines of OCaml):
  http://www.medit.fr
They did not really choose OCaml, just inherited some software which
happened to be written in OCaml. As far as I know, this is the first
commercialized OCaml application in bioinformatics, and at least one of
the very first ones to be available on the web (http://sumo-pbil.ibcp.fr).

> I'd be interested of any evidence people have of the size and vibrancy of the
> ocaml community.  I'd be particularly interested in evidence of ocaml use in
> the United States, since it seems like a majority of ocaml use is outside of
> the US.

There is also this page (which doesn't seem to be complete):
  http://wiki.cocan.org/companies

Martin

--
Martin Jambon, PhD
Researcher in Structural Bioinformatics since the 20th Century