[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Sylvain LE GALL sylvain.le-gall at polytechnique.org
Tue Dec 2 15:00:08 PST 2003

Hello,

Well, i won't quote your whole message. So i just give some idea :
- using a text key which is the original sentence which need to be
  translated is GOOD. Because most of the time translation is a feature
  not the key of the program. So it should not be blocking for the rest
  of the APP ( ie if a single translation doesn't not exist, it must not
  issue an arbitrary key, nor raise an exception.
- if you really want to use anything else as a key, why don't you use
  "KEY_1" as a key ( ie string as key ). I think it is not good but...
- question of notation is hard...
- using more than one function ( or brackets or anything else ) is
  getting inefficient when you have already complex function ( ie i
  don't think anyone want to have a big source code just because of
  translation ).

I recommend to use gettext. I think it is the most powerful tool for
translation. You can extract text...

Moreover there is already a binding of gettext ( either in the hump or
at http://www.gallu.homelinux.org/download/ ). In fact, i am working on
a full ocaml program that read gettext files for translation.

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL