[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Benjamin Geer ben at socialtools.net
Sat Dec 6 03:50:54 PST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
>   _("Number of messages in ::folder:: : ::n::", folder => $foldername,
>                                                 n => $nr_messages)

For a sentence like

   Your search returned x files in y directories.

that would get very awkward.  The usability department might not be
happy with

   Number of directories containing matching files: y.
   Number of matching files in those directories: x.

If I saw that one a web site, I'd think, 'Why couldn't they just write
one simple sentence?'  And indeed there's no reason why it can't be
done, if you have adequate tools.  I really strongly suggest you read
the article about Maketext:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/lib/Locale/Maketext/TPJ13.html

Ben