[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Matthieu Sozeau mattam at altern.org
Sat Dec 6 08:19:17 PST 2003

> The fact remains, however, that it's very hard for a key-based system
> to do the right thing when a translation is missing. The best thing it
> can do is display the key. Hopefully the key will be something
> meaningful to the end user, such as THIS_IS_THE_ENGLISH_MESSAGE.

> Ah, but now you might as well make the key *be* the English message!
> Looks like we've actually arrived at the gettext approach after all
> :-)

You can also have a sensible default catalogue, or even custom behavior
when messages are not found with the Maketext approach. Also, any text
should be accepted as a key so you can implement the <message is key>
behavior too if you prefer. That's only more flexibility.

--
Matthieu Sozeau
http://mattam.org