[Ocaml-pxp-users] enable_namespace_info: good or bad?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at bononia.it
Thu Oct 23 00:21:41 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:47:44PM +0200, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Just to understand the problem better: Would it be allowed to have a
> second namespace prefix, e.g.

Yes

> > applied and the only way to know the prefix used by the user is to use
> > enable_namespace_info parser configuration option.
> Which works only for elements, not attributes. namespace_info was a bad
> idea from the very beginnning.

Just to understand your implementation choices. Prefix normalization is
ok, but why remove the xmlns:... esplicit attributes from nodes. Is it
required by the Infoset+Namespaces recommendations? Having that
attributes should be enough ...

> For the moment, I would recommend to use namespace_info, and to evaluate
> what the [declaration] method returns (which reflects the xmlns
> declarations). To save memory, you can override the set_namespace_info
> method for all objects except xsd:schema such that it does nothing.

Ok, that's indeed the solution I decided to use for the moment. I like
the hint about overriding set_namespace_info ...

> What do you think about this proposal?

It solves the problem requiring not so much memory, but I think it's
quite heavy for the programmer ... unfortunately I actually see no
cleaner way for improving the current namespace_info stuff, so go for it
:-)

Finally, even if namespace_info stuff was not granted to be stable, it
would be possible to be, at least for one release, backward compatible?

Thanks,
Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy