[Ocaml-pxp-users] The meaning of ANY

Dario Teixeira darioteixeira at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 14:30:58 PST 2010

Hi,

There's a high probability this is not a problem with PXP per se, but
rather with my interpretation of the DTD specs.  Anyway, the situation is
as follows: I have a "document" consisting of a non-empty list of blocks.
A block may be either "mathtexblk" or "mathmlblk".  In the former case it
contains only PCDATA; in the latter case the element's contents are supposed
to be a MathML fragment.

Now, some other component will attest to the validity of this fragment in
accordance to the MathML DTD; all I care about at this stage is that the
contents for a mathmlblk element are well-formed.  It is for this reason
that I've used the declaration ANY for the mathmlblk element:

<!ELEMENT document (mathtexblk | mathmlblk)+>
<!ELEMENT mathtexblk (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT mathmlblk ANY>

This isn't working though; PXP throws a "Validity constraint" error, and it
seems that ANY is being interpreted as "any element declared in this DTD",
instead of my expectation of "any element, really".  Is PXP's behaviour
according to spec, and if so, is there a workaround you could suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
Dario Teixeira