[Orca-dev] unknown value

Jason D. Kelleher kelleher944 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 13:49:06 PDT 2001

I'm writing a script that takes datafiles from severals nodes in an
OPS cluster and creates an aggregate datafile for Orca so data from
several nodes can be put onto one graph along with totals and
averages.

Everything is working fine now except when I encounter a "hole" in
the data from a node.  To prevent changing the number of columns and
upsetting Orca I've been filling these holes with "0".  This skews
averages a little, but I didn't consider it significant until I saw
what it did to counter values - definitely a Bad Thing(tm).  Does
Orca accept something like the RRDTool "*UNKNOWN*" value?

I guess I could just drop the entire line, but that seems silly since
dropping a node for maintenance may be considered a SOP and doesn't
affect the cluster.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jason