[Orca-dev] Beta orcallator.se that generates new log file names

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Sep 28 23:58:18 PDT 2001

Hello,

Can some people try this beta.  It fixes something people have been wanting
for a long time and that is creating new log files when the number of
columns change or a column name changes.  This will work better with Orca
and there won't be as much missing data.

The only problem is that I don't have access to a Solaris box any more so
I'm guess that there's syntax errors here and it probably won't compile.
You'll probably need to send me patches.

If anybody wants to loan me access to a Solaris box, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/orcallator.se-very-beta.txt

// Version 1.28b7: Sep 28, 2001 Now create new output log filenames anytime
//                              the number of columns changes or the column
//                              names change.  Never overwrite an already
//                              existing log filename.
// Version 1.28b6: Sep 28, 2001 Instead of outputting the number of CPUs only
//                              when WATCH_MUTEX is defined, output it when
//                              either WATCH_CPU or WATCH_MUTEX is defined.
//                              Only declare and update tmp_mutex if
//                              WATCH_MUTEX defined.
// Version 1.28b5: Sep 28, 2001 Add three parameters that vmstat outputs,
//                              #runque, vmstat's `r' column, which is the
//                              number of processes in the run queue waiting
//                              to run on a CPU, #waiting, vmstat's `b' column,
//                              which is the number of processes blocked for
//                              resources (I/O, paging), and #swpque, vmstat's
//                              `w', the number of processes runnable but
//                              swapped out.  Increase MAX_COLUMNS from 512 to
//                              2048.  Check [wr]lentime to see if an EMC disk
//                              is using a fake disk for control.  EMC disks
//                              have a fake disk which commands are run over to
//                              configure the disk array or to get stats from;
//                              they are not real data transfers.  They can
//                              cause 1000 MB/sec writes to appear in the
//                              stats.  I still get them but not as often with
//                              this bit of code in.  If the I/O which occurred
//                              in the last five minutes is not greater than
//                              1/100sec then it is not a valid measurement
//                              anyway.  What happens is that we can have a
//                              small I/O, say 1024 bytes, in a 1/100sec =
//                              1024*100/sec.  I am thinking of making it
//                              wlentime+rlentime > 2 since I am still getting
//                              fake write spikes.  Make sure to define
//                              HAVE_EMC_DISK_CONTROL to enable this check.
//                              Patch contributed by Damon
//                              Atkins <Damon.Atkins at nabaus.com.au>.