[Orca-dev] A question about HAVE_EMC_DISK_CONTROL

Dmitry Berezin dberezin at surfside.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 13 08:48:54 PDT 2004

Hi Blair,

I would like to do a "sanity check" for the following few changes to the
orcallator.se. Comments from the group members are appreciated.

To make the tracking of these discussions easier, I will post separate
messages for each question.

A question about HAVE_EMC_DISK_CONTROL code -

There is a piece of code that "fixes a problem with 1000MB/s writes caused
by the EMCs GateKeeper devices". Well, the problem that I have with it is
that first of all, I don't see how these small writes could affect data
transfer rates that are averaged in the five minute interval; second, I
don't see how this code is fixing this problem. I have several systems with
EMC disks, but had never seen this problem showing up (yes, I do not run
orcallator.se with this code enabled).

Unless I am missing something here, I will go ahead and remove this code.

If the problem does exist, I'd like to get to the real root of it and fix
it.

  -Dmitry.