[Orca-users] multiple .cfg files / multiple orcas

Duncan Lawie duncanl at demon.net
Wed Aug 25 09:10:00 PDT 1999

Hi,

I reckon orca is pretty cool.  I'm even not bothered about the old
whitespace thing, and I reckon I've got some dangerous ideas, but I'll
try to keep (most of) them to myself for the moment.

1.  I am planning to collect stats on Oracle database performance as
well as for Solaris hosts.  I have created a sample source file and a
separate orcora.cfg and run orca with this file and it all works fine.
As I see it, this is the only way to go i.e
         new source file means new .cfg means extra orca running

Is this correct?

2.  I am thinking about collecting extra stats per disk (as referred to
in the Paul Company's TODO comments).  However, putting these stats into
the main web page makes it half a mile long when you've got a couple of
arrays.  I can collect all this extra data with some fairly minor
orcallator configuration changes BUT
        Is it sensible to run two orcas with different .cfg files
looking at different columns of the same source file?
        Alternatively, without messing dangerously with the internals of
Orca, can I display the disk detail on a separate web page?

I hope soon to be able to offer answers as well as questions :-)

Best Wishes,

Duncan.
--
Duncan Lawie
duncanl at demon.net
MIS - Demon Internet

"The _bless_ operator simply uses the reference in order to find the
thingy."
Programming Perl p292.