[Orca-users] two orca problems

bsirinek at cme.com bsirinek at cme.com
Thu Dec 2 11:45:05 PST 1999

From: bsirinek at cme.com

I'm running orca 0.25 and orcallator.se-1.20.txt on an Sun E4500 and Solaris
2.6 (monitoring 15 boxes) and am having two problems

1) Upon starting orca, dozens of gunzip processes start up and never die
(though they are not using any cpu time). These never go away and become
defunct if I kill them. I did indeed set the ulimit to 256, as the mailing
list and documentation state. :)

2) Every night at midnight when the logs rotate and move to the next day I
get one mail per server saying
"/usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/<servername>/percol-yyyy-mm-dd did exist and
is now gone". I know *why* I get this (the file is gzipped, and the name
changed because of the gz extension), but I'd like to know how/if I can stop
it, aside from disabling all mail, and thus missing genuine orca error
mails.

Bill Sirinek
Open Systems Engineer
30 S. Wacker Dr.  9th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 930-8151

  Hey Freelancers:  Find your next project through JobSwarm!
  You can even make $$$ in your sleep by referring friends.