[Orca-users] Re: Minor issues in Orca-0.25 and one problem (?)

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Sat Oct 30 12:10:14 PDT 1999

Hello Sean,

Sean O'Neill wrote:

> From: "Sean O'Neill" <sean.oneill at appnet.com>
>
> Hey Blair,
>
> Can you explain if there is a rule that decides when a number is displayed
> with a units specification like 'k', 'm', 'M', 'u', or just plain number
> when displayed in the graphs? Or do the various graphs have a default units
> they display in?

You'll have to look in the RRDtool source code, specifically the
rrd_graph.c file.  I don't know the exact rules where RRDtool
decided to use what symbol.  There are no default units for any
plots.

> One inconsistency I've seen is in comparing the "Interface Bits Per Second:
> hme0" displayed graph data with the "TCP Bits Per Second" graph data.  In
> the Interface graph, the text display is displayed in units of kbits.  The
> "TCP Bits" text display is display in whole numbers with no unit
> specification.

Yes, Orca does not keep the scales consistent between different plots.
This
would not be too hard, but not too easy either to implement.

> One possible problem (minor) - The Info page for the "Disk Run Percent"
> shows the graph text data without a units specification representation a
> percentage.  My "Disk Run Percent" graph data is showing up multiplied by
> 1000 with an 'm' (milli) unit specification.  Does this have to do with my
> question above i.e. a rule that decides what units the text data should be
> displayed in?

I haven't taken the time out and will not have the time to adequately
find/figure
out what this number means, how relevant it is, and what scale it has.
We
may want to take a look at this article to figure out if there's
something
better to use

http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-08-1999/swol-08-perf.html

> Otherwise, Orca-0.25 fixes the problem I had in Orca-0.24. Thanks !!

Great!!

> And good luck with your new company :)

Thanks,
Blair

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Sean O'Neill
> AppNet, Inc.
> sean.oneill at appnet.com
> 301-939-1000 (Office)
> 301-939-1213 (Direct)
> 301-953-2368 (Fax)
>
> --------------273A93013B35DE391C1BB476

begin:vcard
n:Zajac;Blair
tel;work:650-372-5859
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/
org:Akamai
adr:;;1400 Fashion Island Blvd;San Mateo;CA;94404;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:blair at akamai.com
title:Strategic Project Lead
fn:Blair Zajac