[Orca-users] Re: setup for monitoring multiple servers - was: problems compiling orca

Martin Hepworth maxsec at totalise.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 00:07:20 PDT 2000

dave.pyles at boeing.com wrote:

> I had to go to the server that I was nfs mounting perl from and
> install the modules there, I got everything to work after that. Nice
> tool!
> Now that I have it running on my workstation successfully, I need to
> get it set up on some servers. I'm not clear on the setup to monitor
> multiple servers. I guess I need to set up the SE toolkit on the
> servers, but I am unsure on how I collect the data to my orca machine
> and keep the data seperate. Can the web server also be elsewhere from
> the orca machine? Do I share out a location for the monitored servers
> to collect my orcallator.se files and share out another location for
> a web server to mount and see the html files? I was thinking of using
> my workstation to process the data from orcallator.se and create the
> html files, will this overload my workstation?
> I haven't seen any documentation in the setup that explains these
> configurations, can you point me to some? I'm still perusing this
> message board looking for this info also.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Dave

Dave
I install SE (last version ,3.1 pre-fcs I think)  and orcalator.se on
all the relevant machines I want to monitor.

I then use mirror (http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mirror/) to move the
orcallator output to my 'display' machine every 30 mins and then run
orca to generate the graphs etc.

Various other ways of doing it (nfs mounting etc), but this works for me
as I try and keep NFS traffic as low as possible (I come from the  days
when NFS was nice, but a major resource drain).

Martin

10% off Windows 2000 or Linux Certification training!

Be one of the first 5000 people to visit
http://www.cyberstateu.com/partner/info.html.
Fill out the form for more info and you will receive a 10% discount on
Windows 2000 or Linux training and the chance to win free training.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5933/13/_/804404/_/962780855/