[Orca-users] Re: Interest in more disk based statistics

JOhn_Langner at ne.3com.com JOhn_Langner at ne.3com.com
Wed Oct 25 06:58:54 PDT 2000

Yes, I'd be interested in more disk statistics.

I find the svc_t column from "iostat -x" more interesting than
the other numbers.  It seems that this would be the most revealing
number about how much applications are slowed down waiting
for file access.

One of the Sun World disk performance columns pointed out the
non-obvious fact that a mildly busy disk can actually produce shorter
average service times than one very lightly loaded.

Adding a disk average service time plot turned out to be very simple.

..../orca/lib/orcallator.se  --  Copy the two lines containing "disk_runp"
    and make a slight change:

    put_output(sprintf("disk_svct_%s", GLOBAL_disk[i].info.long_name),
    sprintf("%16.5f", GLOBAL_disk[i].service));

..../orca/lib/orcallator.cfg - Copy the disk run percent section and make
    a few changes:

     plot {
     title                 %g Disk Average Service Time
     source                        orcallator
     data                  disk_svct_((?:c\d+t\d+d\d+)|(?:md\d+))
     line_type             line2
     legend                        $1
     y_legend              Average Service Time
     data_min              0
     plot_min              0
     href
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/docs/orcallator.html#????????