[Orca-users] RE: Install Errors

Geoff Dyment geoff at tripeze.com
Wed Apr 25 11:30:47 PDT 2001

Well here's our wrapper/hack/script that calls the configure and make
commands, and creates fake links etc.

Known issues for Blair:

- Orca is hard coded to look for rrd-tool 1.0.13. It will not see a newer
version unless you change the dir name, and god knows what things will
break... (So we didn't do this).

- rrd-tool 1.0.13 needs perl 5.00xxx to compile. If you have 5.6.x it won't
compile.

- On Solaris 8, CC is crippled unless you pay for it, and the solaris perl
5.00xxx is somehow bound to that crippled CC.

So here's our wrapper script - you WILL need to modify the vars at the top
for your dirs and flags.

#!/bin/sh
#
# This program will build orca-0.26 with rrdtool-1.0.13 under the following
# conditions:
#       Solaris 8
#       with Solaris-provided Perl (5.005_03) and no cc compiler
#       (cc exists in /usr/ucb/bin but can't create executables)
#
#       Perl 6 installed in /usr/local/bin
#       withOUT the link from /usr/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl
#       (i.e. you have 2 different versions. For some reason, the rrdtool
#       doesn't seem to install using Perl 5.6.1, but will install using
#       Perl 5.005_03)
#
#       gcc installed in /usr/local/bin
#
# The problem is this:
#       rrdtool won't install using Perl 5.6.1
#       if rrdtool is compiled using Sun's Perl, there is a hard-coded path
#       to cc somewhere, and of course cc is crippled unless you bought it
#       gcc with provided flags for gcc won't compile either
#       gcc with the flags for the cc compiler WILL work - hence the silly
link
#
# Lame but true
#
# I'm not convinced this is the best solution, but it worked for us
#
# Mark and Geoff (admins at tripeze.com)

#
# Stuff you can configure
#
ORCA_HOME=/usr/local/build/orca-0.26
RRD_HOME=$ORCA_HOME/packages/rrdtool-1.0.13
CONFIGURE_FLAGS="--with-html-dir=/export/data/intranet/orca
--with-ncsa-log=/export/data/logs/apache1/access_log.current --pr
efix=/opt/orca"

#
# Run the silly thing
#
cd $ORCA_HOME
#
# Include pathing for standard utils and the Solaris Perl version and make
#
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/perl5/bin:$RRD_HOME
export PATH
#
# Build rrdtool
#
cd packages/rrdtool-1.0.13
rm config.cache
ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc cc
CC=cc ./configure $CONFIGURE_FLAGS
make
make install
rm cc
#
# Build the rest
#
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin
cd $ORCA_HOME
./configure $CONFIGURE_FLAGS
make
make install