[Orca-users] Re: FW: Capacity Planning

Peter Viertel peter.viertel at it-action.com
Sun Apr 29 03:10:51 PDT 2001

I should have added a rider that the 'Add 2G ram at a time' fix is a special
case reserved for when your client is a global investment bank which is
afraid of architectural changes, but has lots of cash. For smaller budgets I
would let the rate slip to about 2000 before  going to the business for an
upgrade, and these days I look for ways to distribute the load to other
servers before building a box up - 'the bigger the box the harder it falls'.

I believe your reasoning is sound for large non-oracle/sybase boxes (e.g. a
filesystem based mail storage server or an nntp thingy) , but I think that
large i/o should not cause unacceptable scanning if the i/o is by a database
engine which is configured to avoid redundant filesystem buffering.

Now that sol8 is finally moving towards general acceptance the red book
becomes dated. Also things have changed again with the serengeti servers. I
imagine our Mr Cockcroft is revising the book around now. (and possibly
looking at upgrading to something more stylish than a red porsche).