[Orca-users] Re: Digest Number 214

paul beard paul at fizzylab.com
Wed Jan 17 16:14:52 PST 2001

orca-users at egroups.com wrote:

> > Message: 7
> >    Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:04:36 -0800
> >    From: Blair Zajac <blair at akamai.com>
> > Subject: Re: httpops/second plotting bug??
> >
> > You're talking about the web server hits per second?  When orcallator
> > is monitoring the web server, it sleeps for 5 seconds, counts the
> > number of new lines in the web server access log, goes back to sleep
> > for another 5 seconds, and repeats this.  After a 5 minute interval,
> > the average hits per second is calculated for the whole 5 minute
> > interval.  Over the 5 minute interval, the largest number of hits in a
> > 5 second interval is saved and divided by 5 seconds to get the peak
> > hits per second.  A difference between 9 and 64 does sound high, but
> > you can check the access log to see if you get variations in hits
> > like this.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Blair

we don't see anything like that, so I'm stumped. All I can think is the
non-standard log format might be confusing things.

But I'm not at all sure.

--
Paul Beard / 206 728 4282 x138
FizzyLab / 2025 First Ave, Suite 1150

"Well, it don't make the sun shine, but at least it don't deepen the
shit."
-- Straiter Empy, in _Riddley_Walker_ by Russell Hoban