[Orca-users] Re: CPU Graphs

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Aug 17 08:52:41 PDT 2002

Liston Bias wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
> > Liston Bias wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen problems with the CPU graphs having many white streaks for
> > > certain systems?  The vast majority of my systems 95% of 200+ have very
> > > good looking CPU graphs with purple covering the graph solid when not
> > > busy... For a handful of systems, however, there are many vertical white
> > > streaks of varying widths that make the graphs look crummy.
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate any input why this may be happening?
> > >
> > > It appears that most/all of these servers are running weblogic app in slb
> > > cluster mode on E420R systems.
> >
> > Can you forward one or two along to the mailing list?
> >
> > It sounds like it's a consistent group of machines.  Maybe its the app
> > running there?
>
> It is more prevalent than I original thought.  It is occuring to some
> extent on 47 of the 210 systems I am graphing.  I'm not seeing a pattern
> as to why.  These are Solaris 8 Netra T1 and E420 systems only I think.
> I have many Solaris 8 T1 and E420 graphing right.
>
> I have attached a few example.
>
> I just upgrading many of the server to latest se version, so that I could
> start getting the I/O wait graph which has proven helpful.  Now, all of my
> server have this latest version.  All of my servers are running RICHse
> 3.2.1.
>
> I'm in the midst of moving orca server from 1120 to 480 right now.  I
> actually have the graphs/rrd being generated on both servers at the same
> time and the gaps are in the same places on both graphs.
>
> I haven't tried stopping/starting orcallator yet.  I also haven't tried
> deleting historic data yet.  If getting rid of history can resolve then
> that is definitely an option.

That's really odd.

What is your measurement interval and the interval specific in the
orcallator.cfg file?

I would first check to see if the raw orcallator data looks ok.  Find
one idle (purple) point in time where the plot looks ok and one period
where it's white and find the orcallator data.  Pull the columns
of data labeled usr%, sys%, wio% and idle% out.  You can use
orcallator_column.pl to do this for you.

See if the data exists, what values there are and what they sum to.