[Orca-users] Re: Tape Throughput

Liston Bias list2002 at bias.org
Fri Aug 23 11:25:00 PDT 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Liston Bias wrote:
> >
> > Decided to separate tape throughput out in orcallator.se and
> > orcallator.cfg for ease of understanding our tape backup issues.
> >
> > What is the best way to relay how file altered?
>
> Liston,
>
> Using the command
>
>     diff -u old_file new_file > patch_description.txt
>
> The first diff below looks like it has the old and new file reversed,
> which makes it harder to apply.
>
> Also, I'll need a log file change for this to place at the top of
> orcallator.se and in the Orca package.
>
> I'm working on getting Orca into Subversion source code management
> so that people do diffs between the source code and their mods and
> send them in for inclusion in the package.
>
> Once you have some data for this, adding an entry to the
>
>    http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/orcallator.html
>
> would be great.

I tried the diff -u option and my diff did not recognize it.  Is there a
special diff I should be using?

I have copied all the files for the change to:

   http://www.solarisadmin.com/orca/tapes

I made the changed to 1.35 cfg/ce files and called them 1.36.  You can,
ofcourse, change this to what number you want.  For the purposes of diff,
I was trying to:

# diff -u orcallator.cfg-1.35.txt orcallator.cfg-1.36.txt > patch_cfg-1.36.txt
# diff -u orcallator.se-1.35.txt orcallator.se-1.36.txt > patch_se-1.36.txt

I testing these changes this morning without any problems.  I have
customized my cfg files here removing a lot of graphs I don't want, so I
have tested for extented periods of time.

I also modified the verbage (change disk to st tape drives) on the
orcallator.html docs page and include some daily graph example for host16.

  http://www.solarisadmin.com/orca/tapes/orcallator.txt

I did not bother attempting to duplicate all disk stats for tapes as we
have no need for them here.  The tape stats that we do have are helpfull
for identifying issues with our backup servers.  The sample graphs are
from an E420R attach to an L700 backup unit (8 drives).

I noticed you have no indication in the .cfg what version it is.  Is there
a reason you chose not to include this information?

Thanks,
Liston