[Orca-users] Re: What file defines ORCA usage of the/usr/bin/ps command?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Aug 29 09:21:08 PDT 2002

Sean O'Neill wrote:

> At 07:59 AM 8/29/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Sean O'Neill wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get the graphing portion of ORCA running on a FreeBSD
> > > machine.  Its /running/ but I'm getting this "/usr/bin/ps: not found" error
> > > - which is expected considering ps on a FreeBSD lives at /bin/ps.
> > >
> > > Which file is ORCA reading that defines the location of ps ?
> > >
> > > # sh S99orcallator startorcagraph
> > > Orca version 0.264 using RRDs version 1.000381 at Wed Aug 28 22:51:17 2002.
> > > Creating orca.gif.
> > > Creating rrdtool.gif.
> > > Finding files and setting up data structures at Wed Aug 28 22:51:17 2002.
> > > /usr/bin/ps: not found
> > > Current running time is 0:07 minutes.
> > >    Read  1440 data points from
> > > `/usr/local/orca/var/orca/orcallator/chivas/orcallator-2002-08-24-000.bz2'.
> >
> >Well, when you run configure, it should find ps.  Can you check your configure
> >output and email it to the list?
>
> Well, ummmmmm, I kinda didn't run configure.  I just copied the ORCA
> installation from the Solaris box over to my FreeBSD box and changed the
> orcallator.cfg to point to the Solaris data and HTTP directories.  That's
> the only "error" coming up.  Hoping to just update the file that the ps
> command is defined in.

The configure script does an inplace substitution in orca.pl.in for the
ps command, so this would explain the problem.

Otherwise you can find this in orca:

# Print a message on the statistics of this running process.
sub running_stats {
  return unless $opt_verbose;

  my $ps_self = '@PS_SELF@';
  if ($ps_self) {
    $ps_self =~ s/PID/$$/g;
    system($ps_self);
  }

and change the $ps_self variable to the setting appropriate for your
system.