[Orca-users] Re: Retain Data For Extended Periods

Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Fri Aug 30 13:00:34 PDT 2002

> All,
>
> I'm just beginning to get my head wrapped around a farily large
> installation of ORCA and my first issue is that I'd like to retain /
> chart data for longer than 1 year. Is this a configuration of orca,
> rrd, or both.

Well, while ORCA uses the raw data and plugs it into RRD for graphing,
it doesn't explicitly remove it.  It might be a good idea for you to
simply retain the raw data for at least a year.  Remove it after that
time.  This would take a bit of disk space, but is technically simple.

That way if you have any problems with the RRDs, or you want to remove
them or see detailed data for some months in the past, you can remove
the rrd and rerun orca against the original data.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company