[Orca-users] (no subject)

Liston Bias bias at pobox.com
Mon Dec 9 20:53:00 PST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Sean O'Neill wrote:

> At 02:04 PM 12/9/2002 -0800, Mark Goldenberg wrote:
> >Has anyone used 'scp' to copy the orcallator.se generated files to the
> >orca server?  I don't use NFS in my environment and I'm looking for
> >another was to move the files?
> >
> >If I could use 'scp' could I add the code to the orcallator.se file?
>
> As Blair said, you probably could modify the COMPRESS variable to do
> this.  But you lose the "almost realtime" aspect of Orca doing it this way.
>
> I use the following script on my Orca server to PULL the data from my
> remote servers.  You notice I said PULL and not PUSH.  I let the remote
> server simply collect the data - it shouldn't be their responsibility to
> PUSH data to the Orca server.  What's happens if the Orca server is down
> ?  Using a PULL configuration, this greatly simplifies the data transfer
> requirements for error detection - IMHO.

We actually use PUSH.  It seems to be much better on the performance side
and I didn't want orca having to keep track of systems that happen to up.
We are regularly adding servers and are currently graphing about 250
systems on one server with 5-10 minute delay in graphs.  I actually
install them though jumpstart:

  http://www.solarisadmin.com/orca/

- Liston