[orca-users] Tape Throughput Data

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Dec 18 15:34:01 PST 2002

Liston Bias wrote:

> First of all, commenting out the following in orcallator.se file seem to
> work for adding tape throughput data to the combined disk throughput
> graph.
>
>  if (RAW_disk[i].short_name[1] == 't' && RAW_disk[i].short_name[0] == 's') {
>   continue;
>  }
>
> Secondly, the change also creates run percentage data which you can graph
> for the new disk (form disk_runp_st#) by making the following change to
> to your orcallator.cfg file on orca.
>
> < data                  disk_runp_((?:c\d+t\d+d\d+)|(?:[ms]d\d+)|(?:st\d+))
> < data                  disk_runp_((?:c\d+t\d+d\d+)|(?:c\d+d\d+)|(?:[ms]d\d+)|(?:st\d+))
> ---
> > data                  disk_runp_((?:c\d+t\d+d\d+)|(?:[ms]d\d+))
> > data                  disk_runp_((?:c\d+t\d+d\d+)|(?:c\d+d\d+)|(?:[ms]d\d+)
>
> I can't see making the above change for all as many may not want the tape
> throughput adding into disk data...
>
> Since my goal of this was to find out my write throughput to tape on
> backup server and 99% of my write throughput is tape, the combined disk
> throughput graph seems to work well for me.
>
> However, I was wonder if anyone has ever done coding on getting throughput
> graphs for the individual disk on system?  I imagine it would require some
> combination of the total throughput and individual runp data to generate
> new graphs.
>
> Because of the "ridiculously" large number of runp graphs generated on our
> system with hundreds of disks, I usually turn of runp.  Has anyone done
> work on using same cfg file to graphs different data for different
> systems?
>
> I have no immediate need for either of above, but would be nice to have.

Would there be any need for a total disk and tape throughput plot?
Right now there orcallator.se and orcallator.cfg measure separate
measurements for the total disk and total tape throughput and plot
these measurements separately.

Would the combined disk and tape be useful to see the total throughput
that the system is managing?

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/