[Orca-users] Re: Rsync Interval

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Feb 13 23:09:19 PST 2002

bias16 wrote:

> We have about 300 servers rsync'ing with central server every five
> minutes to match the polling interface in orcallator.
>
> * Is there any harm in just syncing the data once and hour while
> maintaining the same polling interval?

No.  You may be those annoying Orca warning emails about files being
out of date, but beyond that, it'll work fine.

> I have noticed that orca graphs are 2-3 hours behind the current time
> anyway.  I also have cron to run orca on central server (creating
> html/graphs) every five minutes.  I would like to split up my server
> rsync times over an hour with one sync per system per hour.

If you can, leave Orca running continuously.  It'll save CPU time since
Orca doesn't have to load all of the files again.

> I also have old data the is bzip2 from past days.  I would like to
> keep this data to have weekly/monthly/yearly graphs.
>
> * Is there a distinct speed increase by not bothering to gzip2 these
> files?

No, just a savings of space.  Bzip2 does a better job than gzip.

> My central server is a T1400 with 2 450Mhz and 2 Gig memory.  It serve
> of lot of management functions and I'm looking to spread the load out
> of orca (as well as other things).  Orca, although niced, is really
> CPU intensive to gather data and make html/graphs.

Yes, try keeping it running continuously.

Maybe you can have a cronjob that runs pstop/prun to stop (pause) and
start (unpause) it without killing the process.

The other solution is to introduce a sleep in Orca to have it sleep
for X seconds after doing a complete update of all of the plots.  Let
me know if this would be interesting.