[Orca-users] Re: Getting rid of old data and extra disk graphs

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 10 23:03:46 PST 2002

Charles,

Charles Dennett wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been using orca on a bunch of systems I maintain for a while
> now.  Not sure how long, but I see I still have version
> 0.25 hanging around.  Don't worry, I'm using 0.27b2 with
> the latest orcallator.se and orcallator.cfg files.  All this
> is on Solaris 8.
>
> Over time, we've changed the file system layouts.  Every time
> we do, new disk run, disk space and disk inode graphs are
> created to reflect the new layout.  On some systems we
> have quite a few of these graphs.  From what I can tell, this
> is normal.  Is that right or am I doing something wrong?

No, this is right.  The filesystem plotting code isn't too smart right now.
We need somebody to go in there and fix it.

> In order to attempt to fix this, I've done the following.
> Noting that the yearly graphs actually go back about 14 months,
> I've deleted all the orcallator data files older than that.
> I've then deleted the RRD files and run orca and let it rebuild
> the RRD files.  Because some of the now deleted data files had
> info on disk layouts that are no longer on the systems and these
> layouts do not appear in the data files that are left, the graphs
> showing them disappear.
>
> Is this the way to correct this problem or am I doing something
> wrong in the way I've set up and run orca?

Well, this isn't ideal, but it does work.  Orca needs some way of just
shoving new measurements onto a single plot as it arrives.  Currently any
new combinations of disks cause it to generate a new plot.

> Oh, and just to
> add to the confusion, we've recently started using DiskSuite
> on some systems so some of the disk run graphs have the disks
> noted as c0t0d0, and some graphs have that style plus the DiskSutite
> style of md1 on the same graph.  (I use c0t0d0 and md1 as examples
> only.  The graphs have all the actual devices on them.)
>
> We recently stood up a couple of new machines and DiskSuite was
> up and running on them before I installed orcallator.  The disk
> run graphs for those show only the disks in the c0t0d0 style.
> The DiskSuite style of md1 is not shown.  I assume the machines
> that have both styles may have been running at the time an older
> version of orcallator.se which had problems distinguishing
> DiskSuite from non-Disksuite disks.  Or, perhaps I had orcallator
> running on the older systems as I was installing and configuring
> DiskSuite and orcallator and orca got confused.

Check the output orcallator-XXXX-YY-ZZ files for the md1 data.  If its
not there, then its an orcallator.se issue, otherwise Orca is not picking
it up.  You may be running an old orcallator.se on that system.

> Anyway, many thanks to Blair for all the work he's done on orca.

Your welcome!

> If I'm doing something wrong and ending up with multiple disk
> graphs, I'd like to know what that is.  If there is a better way
> to corret this other than deleteing the RRD files and older
> orcallator data files, I'd like to know.

Would you like to help fix some code :)