[Orca-users] Re: input record ... too long

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jan 18 10:56:20 PST 2002

Rusty Carruth wrote:

> "nikitelli" <n.kraus at 3beg.at> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for your review Rusty.
> > However, since the collection runs nonetheless still smoothly I'll
> > leave it at that for now.
> >
> You are right, in fact, I probably should have ended with that -
> if the graphs make sense, since we're pretty sure you only lost
> one sample (if you don't get those messages any more), then you're
> probably fine.
>
> rc

The first message

    Warning: file `.../orcallator/host1/orcallator-2001-11-06-000'
    did exist and is now gone

is covered by the FAQ and isn't terribly important.  You won't loose any
data over it.

The second message comes from nawk

    /bin/nawk: input record `root    4383  0.0 ...' too long

is in the start_orcallator script when its looking for already running
orcallator.se processes to decide if it should start or just quit.  There
was a process that must have had extremely long command line arguments for
nawk to complain about the line length (check for PID 4383 if its still
running).

Neither orcallator.se nor Orca use {n,m,g,}awk, so you didn't loose any
data here either.