[Orca-users] Re: Getting started

ian.phillips at ihsenergy.com ian.phillips at ihsenergy.com
Wed Jan 30 08:56:08 PST 2002

Cheers Rusty,

It probably is there somewhere, I've just been looking at it for so long
now
I can't see the wood for the trees. I will dig a bit deeper and hopefully
it will
be staring me in the face.

Ian

                    Rusty Carruth
                    <rcarruth at tempe.t       To:     orca-users at yahoogroups.com
                    t.slb.com>              cc:
                                            Subject:     Re: [orca-users] Getting started
                    30/01/2002 16:03
                    Please respond to
                    orca-users

"japan1uk" <ian.phillips at ihsenergy.com> wrote:
> I have now downloaded all the latest versions of orca, setool and rrd.
> What do I do now? Is there anything else I require? What is the
> minimum speck machine these things should be running on?
> I really want to get this up and running but I can't seem to get any
> further. HELP

Well, I could have sworn that that info is in the docs somewhere,
these random comments may not be enough, so dig a bit more.

Anyway, here's the steps I'd take:

0 - dig in the manuals/documentation/web pages a bit more to see if
      there's a better answer.  IF not, continue to:
1 - see my previous email about orcallator client to see the options
      on how to configure the layout.
2 - decide where the files go and so forth.
3 - configure orca, setool, and rrd (if needed, I forget) to match
      what you decided.
4 - install them
5 - run them
6 - wait a while (at least the sample period, preferably 2x just to be
sure)
7 - go look at the web pages generated.

Minimum machine - i've got no clue.  I'm running SE on Sun Ultra 1's,
and I'm running orca on my 'personal' Sun Ultra 5 (with 256 Meg ram),
with anywhere from 5 to 30 SE clients generating data.  When you first
start orca, with 30 clients, it can be something of a load (minor
understatement ;-), but once things get caught up its no big deal, even
with 30 clients generating data every 5 minutes.  And remember, this
is on the machine I use for 'real work', so I'd notice ;-)

rc

               Yahoo! Groups Sponsor