[Orca-users] Re: Orca NFS Client Graphs Empty

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 31 17:07:20 PST 2002

jantevil wrote:

> Hello --
> Orca has been a wonderful tool for us, but we do have one problem
> that I wanted to post to the group in case anyone can help. We
> noticed that the NFS client graphs were empty even tho' the NFS
> server graphs showed plenty of NFS activity (and in fact there is
> plenty of NFS activity). After lots of digging, I think I've narrowed
> it down to the fact that we use the default of NFS over TCP; when I
> remount filesystems with "-o proto=udp", nfsstat -c will show
> connectionless rather than connection-oriented client RPC and
> suddenly the Orca NFS client graphs start to graph lots of NFS
> activity.
> Needless to say, we don't want to back down to NFS over UDP just to
> get the Orca NFS client graphs, but I have to think that someone has
> encountered this issue before and may have some solution. I've
> searched the mailing list without any luck, however.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jason

Jason,

The first thing to check is if the output percol-* or orcallator-* files
contain NFS data.  If they do, then it's an issue with the Orca configuration
files, otherwise it's an issue with orcallator and/or SE.

Check for the nfs_call/s, nfs_timo/s, nfs_badx/s, nfss_calls, v2reads,
v2writes, v3reads, v3writes and nfss_bad columns.  You can use
orcallator_column.pl to pick a particular column out of your data files
like this:

    orcallator_column.pl -c nfs_call/s -c nfss_calls percol-.....