[Orca-users] Re: Process ownership

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jul 12 11:10:18 PDT 2002

Andrew Broad wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does the either the client orcallator.se or the server orcallator.cfg have
> to run as root or can I create an user "orca" to run it as?

You can definitely run orcallator.cfg as a non-root user.  For
orcallator.se, I don't recall which data you can't get while running
as non-root.  You could try this [using csh syntax here]:

non-root% se -DWATCH_OS orcallator.se 5 |& tee 1
root% se -DWATCH_OS orcallator.se 5 |& tee 2

Run these commands until it prints something and then do Control-C.

Then to pull out the columns measured, run this:

% perl -wnle 'next unless /timestamp/; print join("\n", split)' 1 > 1s
% perl -wnle 'next unless /timestamp/; print join("\n", split)' 2 > 2s
% diff 1s 2s

This will show what data is missing.  On my system, I get #proc/s
and #proc/p5s, which are the rate at which new processes are spawned.
If you want that data, then you'll need to run as root.