[Orca-users] Re: orca memory leak in Solaris 2.5.1

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Mar 13 11:58:57 PST 2002

shakthi_2000 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running orca version 0.27b2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 machine.
> Within 24 hours from the time the processes start, orca starts
> chewing up memory. I also have a cron job in place to stop orca and
> orcallator and restart them at midnight. By mid afternoon the next
> day top shows the following:
> PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 23568 orca    5    0  358M  170M sleep  37:09  4.09%  1.33% orca
> 23579 root    33    0  127M   90M sleep   5:48  0.52% 0.06%
> se.sparc.5.5.1
>
> The perl version is 5.003.
>
> I was wondering if there anything I could do to keep the memory usage
> down, or is it just a problem with Solaris 2.5.1?

Since Perl 5.003 is pretty old, I would at least upgrade to the latest version
of Perl, as that might help.

Because you are running Solaris 2.5.1, you'll have to compile Perl instead
of using ActiveState's Perl binaries.  Use this:

http://downloads.ActiveState.com/ActivePerl/src/5.6/AP631_source.tgz

Let me know if this works, I'd be interested in hearing if it does.