[Orca-users] Re:

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Sep 11 22:29:34 PDT 2002

Bernard wrote:

> Hi Blair,
>         This is long and I'm sorry about that but I was thinking as I typed.  :)
>
> We've been using orca for sometime and it has provided loads of important
> information on our servers.   An issue that we have is that 3 of the disk
> graphs, Space, Inode and Run have repeats of the same information on the
> same page.
>
> All the other Data Sets have a single graph per host.
>
> eg:   Disk Run Percent "Weekly, or whatever" has multiple graphs of the
> same file systems for one of the hosts.
>
> This doesn't show up in the first days processing of orcallator files.  It
> does repeat from day 2 onwards.
>
> I've tried variations of versions of Orca, orcallator and web servers,
> linux and Solaris.    I've tried variations in the orcallator.cfg
> file.    I've looked in the orcallator data files and there isn't repeating
> information per row so I'm thinking it's to do with how orca processes
> orcallator data for "Space, Inode and Run".
> Each repeating graph has its own png and png.meta file with slight
> variations in the name.  eg: The ordering of the file system names, /var
> before /tmp or other variation.
>
> Perhaps that is where the  issue lies.  Maybe it's getting the name
> ordering mixed up and writing updates to a new file instead of updating the
> existing.  Perhaps it's losing track of the file name it should be writing
> to.   This makes me think that orcallator is collating the /dev's and
> /directory names differently and Orca isn't keeping track of what it's
> already created for the Disk Graphs.  ???
>
> If orcallator is putting the different devs and dirs in different places in
> the rows in the orcallator data file then,
> Is it possible to force ordering of  the devs and file systems in
> orcallator.cfg or somewhere?   ie:  c0t0d0 is always before c0t0d1 and / is
> always before /bin before /etc   ...... ??
>
> Or is it possible to force ordering with the SE tool that collects the disk
> info?
>
> Or am I on the wrong track and there is something else causing the multiple
> graphs?
>
> I hope this isn't too much info.  :)
>
> Kind Regards
> Bernard

Hi Bernard,

The problem is with Orca, not any of the other tools, or at least that's
where I believe the problem lies.  I think you'll find that the filesystems
listed in the output orcallator data files are listed in the same order, it's
just that at times, not all the filesystems are mounted and the data files
do not contain all the mounts.  Orca cannot deal with this.

If somebody wants to take a crack at fixing this bug in Orca, that would
sure be great.