[Orca-users] Orcallator runs 6 times and exits silently

gedankensonde mmicene at realeum.com
Tue Sep 17 08:05:49 PDT 2002

Hello all,

I have been using Orca to gather data on several machines and have an
odd problem on a single server.  I am running a V880 with Solaris 8
02/02.  Orca compiles fine, without error or warning, and installs
properly.  When the S99orcallator or start_orcallator script is run,
the orcallator.se fires off just fine.  However, after five minutes,
the current percol file is rotated and zipped.  This happens 5 times
( leaving -000.bz2 through -004.bz2) and then it exits with no errors
after ~9Kb of data in -005.  This behavior is consistent across 2
versions of Perl (5.6.1 and 5.8.0) and only happens on this machine.
This machine is identical in underpinnings to another V880 in the
environment which does not exhibit this behavior using 5.6.1.  I have
not modfied the orcallator.cfg in ay way from the initial install as
I wanted to ensure it ran before modifiying anything.  Has anyone
else seen this sort of behavior?  I can't reproduce it on any of the
other servers (8 or so) that have Orca installed.

Thanks in advance

Matt