[Orca-users] Multiple graphs of same data

Charles Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 09:40:19 PST 2003

This is a common problem with orca.  It happens because some local mounted partitions (ie. not NFS mounts)come and go.  It could be from a removable media like a floppy or CD.  It could be because to mounted some otehr disk partition for whatever reason.  It seems that every different combination results in yet another disk space and disk inode graph.

I don't know if this has ever been fixed in orca.

However, quite a while ago someone published to this list a perl program that can be used to "fix" this problem. It does not fix it permanently, but it will
condense the multiple graphs down to one.  It's called orca-fix.pl (or orcafix.pl - don't recall exactly which one.)  It does this by rewriting all the previous orcallator data files (you do keep them, right?) to match one that you claim is good (usually the latest one.)

Instructions for its use are in comments at the beginning of the file.  Essentially, you fix all the data files with orcafix on all the systems that have the multiple graphs.  Then on the orca machine you delete (yes, delete) all the RRD file for these systems.  Then you run orca and it will rebuild all the RRD file from the data files.

Search the list archives (or google) for orcafix.

I do not agree that commenting out the lines in the config files is the solutions.  Why would you eliminate the graphs?

AS to why the graphs still appeared, if you look closely, I'll bet you'd see the data stamp on the bottom of the graphs indicated they had not been updated.
When orca runs in continuous mode (ie. you do not use the -o option) orca only builds the html index page once.  If you change the config file it will not delete the graphs nor rebiuld the index file.  You would have to stop and restart orca to get it to rebuild the index file.  However, if you run orca in oneshot mode (ie. you use the -o option) orca will rebuild the idnex file each time.

Charlie