[Orca-users] Where did the memory go....

Dan Cushing dan.cushing at netideasinc.com
Wed Feb 5 21:26:52 PST 2003

Jon -

In Solaris 2.6 all unused memory is made available for I/O cache.  It
does not
return it to the "free" state when the I/O is completed.  A normal
expectation is
that the "free" memory number will drop gradually from boot up until it
is almost
zero and it will remain there.  As long as you are not seeing excessive
swapping
or paging, then things should be ok.

Look at the Available Swap graphs in ORCA.  That is a better indicator,
since
memory that is removed from the "free" pool for I/O caching still shows
as
available swap.  If you have 1 GB of disk swap space allocated and your
available
swap is reading 2 GB, then you still have 1 GB of memory that is
available for
program use (even though it doesn't show up in the free pool).

Solaris 8 doesn't behave this way.  Memory utilized only for I/O cache
shows up in
the free memory pool, which is much more intuitive.

Hope that helps.

Dan Cushing
NetIDEAS, Inc.