[Orca-users] Orcallator.cfg: Add threshold for # of cpus to Average # Processesim Run Queue-Graph

B.Schopp at gmx.de B.Schopp at gmx.de
Mon Feb 24 05:25:58 PST 2003

> B.Schopp at gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > i just have seen within the datafiles generaterd by orcallator, that
> the
> > number of cpus is also being monitored. As i missed the value within
> > orca i added it to orcallator.cfg into the 'Average # Processes in Run
> > Queue'-Graph (like in procallator i set the line for the # of cpus to
> > line2).
>
> I generated this plot for some of the data I have for a 2 CPU box, and for
> this box, it gets very little usage so that the actual usage plots don't
> show a lot of detail.
>
> I've attached a sample plot.

So did i... ;-)

> So in my mind, this doesn't show too much detail in the usage.  I would
> like to see more detail in the actual usage then just see a plot scaled
> to the number of CPUs.

>From my point of view, the values below 0.1 aren't really of any interest
on behalf of the average load. On the other side, it may be interesting if
you are developing and want to countercheck the performance of a script
or a new binary. On active (and busy) servers the # of cpus will be a point
of interest because of the possibilty to check out if the system has enough
cpus...

> However, I am willing to consider adding this to the official distribution
> if a majority of people vote to see it added.
>
> > What do you think about the colours: The line for the # of  cpus gets as
> > colour magenta by default. Should it be changed ilike in procallator?
>
> Regarding the colors, I'd like them all to be consistent between
> orcallator
> and procallator.  Can you send a sample procallator plot so I can compare
> color schemes?  As a note, I've been treating orcallator as the definitive
> source.

The difference in the colours is that in procallator the line colour for the
# of cpus is red and in orcallator it is magenta. From a logical point of
view,
the red line could be seen as an alarm signal if it crossed by the load.
I agree that the colours should be consistent within the same graphs.

Best,

Burkhardt