[Orca-users] RESOLVED: orca segfaults on start

Rob Joost rob.joost at knowledgenet.com
Fri Feb 28 15:35:13 PST 2003

I just got on the mail list, so I wasn't getting mail sent to that I could
reply-all all to,
so this is in reply to my previous posting on getting help with an issue on
orca segfault'ing on start...

Below is mindless for most people, but for those admins first getting into
these tools, it may help..

I think it's better to break down the install process to avoid problems I
had.
Unfortunately, I was under the gun to get this set up as a test case, so I
didn't document every step, so
I can't say what the root cause was for my original post, but here is how I
recommend newbies set it up:

Read http://www.mindspring.com~pkdb/ORCA.html   but take it slower. There
are too many assumptions there.

1. get gcc. I installed gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local
2. you need the following Solaris packages:

SUNWhea,SUNWlibm,SUNWscpux,SUNWsprot.

(I set up jumpstart to push a User only kernel out to our web servers.
Anything else involves custom rulesets and
other s/w is compiled elsewhere and moved into production. This includes the
set of dev servers I was testing Orca on.
So, you may or may not have to add these packages. You may have to add more
packages; but, if you
install Solaris User-only packages, you'll have to install the above)

NOTE: it's still not clear to me if Orca runs on all the systems that
oracallator.se runs on, or if Orca only runs on the
system which houses apache and shares out the htdocs and rrd directories, so
here is what I next did:

3. add package RICHPse (3.2.1) Ignore the part in
http://www.mindspring.com~pkdb/ORCA.html where he discusses setting up the
SEToolkit,
because the SEToolkit 3.2.1 packages it all up into one package now. Just
pkgadd RICHPse and you are done!

4. untar the orca*gz.tar package wherever you want ( I did under /usr/local
)
5. Do NOT run configure yet!, I use perl 5.6.1 and that is recommended.
But it gets tricky with perl packages. Usually, I use perl -eshell -MCPAN
and  install what I need, but, in this case,
Orca comes with its own packages.
I had problems installing Orca when I went directly to configure. One of the
steps is to test (make test_modules). I never verified
the exact reasoning why it failed, probably lack of sleep, BUT here is what
worked for me:

cd orca*/packages
foreach perl package ==> perl Makefile.pm; make; make test; make install
When you get these specific packages installed, continue...

6. on the apache server you'll use to view Orca, follow the instructions at
http://www.mindspring.com~pkdb/ORCA.html
modifying the paths to suit your installation.

cd ..; export PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin

7. Here is my configure:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/orca \
--bindir=/usr/local/orca/bin \
--libdir=/usr/local/orca/lib \
--mandir=/usr/local/orca/man \
--with-rrd-dir=/orca/rrd/rrd/orcallator \
--with-orcallator-dir=/orca/rrd/orcallator \
--with-html-dir=/orca/htdocs \
--with-ncsa-log=/var/apache/logs/access_log \

Run these make commands, I ran them one at a time, (it'll install rrdtool,
rrdtool's dependencies, plus orcallator and Orca)
make; make test_modules; make install_modules; make install

7. EDIT $ORCA_HOME/bin/start_orcallator and verify that ORCALLATOR_DIR
matches what you used in configure
edit $ORCA_HOME/lib/orcallator.cfg and verify correctness, also, READ the
README and INSTALL in $ORCA_HOME!

8. start collecting ( what is this? The SEToolkit gathers system stats every
5 minutes. Orcallator gathers all this information, uses rrdtool to generate
rrd's and then $ORCA_HOME/bin/orca -v $ORCA_HOME/lib/orcallator.cfg will
prepare it all for presentation on the web server )

a. start_orcallator
b. $ORCA_HOME/bin/orca -v $ORCA_HOME/lib/orcallator.cfg (NOTE: it may take a
while 5 min to an hour, in order to start generating stats)

That's what worked for me. I thank the people who responded to me.

It'd be great if Orca could be used to allow us to define regex's on the
apache logs so that, for example, we could determine
how much bandwidth(or bytes served out) by a given
vhost/customer/pattern.....

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob