[Orca-users] re: more info: dead zone on all graphs at same time

jeffrey.p.miller at kodak.com jeffrey.p.miller at kodak.com
Tue Jan 21 05:17:24 PST 2003

> > 2: Another situation we've seen produce blank
> banding
> > for all datasets on a Solaris 8 system involves a
> > change in devices. Orcallator normally handles
> > mount/unmount of disks by putting a new header in
> the
> > logfile to reflect the change in devices. When
> Sun's
> > Instant Image tool performs a dependant snapshot,
> it
> > unmounts and remounts the shadow volume(a few
> minutes
> > duration). Orcallator should handle that, but what
> > we've seen is that all the data in the current log
> > file is lost when the log file is turned. Our
> > workaround for now is to just restart orcallator a
> few
> > minutes before the snapshot event, minimizing the
> data
> > loss.
>
> Which version of orcallator.se are you using?
> Current versions should
> create a brand new data file each time the system
> configuration changes,
> so stopping and starting should be unnecessary.

I seem to have missed these responses to the thread (which I initiated!).
Can someone re-cap
what the recommended solution is?  Should I stop/start orcallator (on the
clients that
have the dead zones in the graphs) a few minutes prior to when the
"server" runs orca?
Should I load a patch?

p.s. I have a screen shot of the blank spots one of the graphs but I don't
know that it is needed
(to send it to the list) because it sounds like we are all familiar with
the phenomenon.

Thank you,

Jeff