[Orca-users] VXFS fragmentation

Liston Bias bias at pobox.com
Thu Jan 23 14:46:16 PST 2003

We have identified a bug in VXFS 3.4 that is not allowing us to reaname a
file if it happens to exist in directory with fragmented directory inode.
We are working that issue with Veritas... but it got us thinking.

We don't ever run vxfs fsadm on our systems unless problem identified.

In reasearching docs, there is recommendations ranging from daily to
monthly cron of this function on systems.  I know it is I/O intensive to
run these functions, so am looking to "display" the fragmentation that
actually exist to justify runs.

Has anyone taking a shot at graphing fragmentation with orca?

Thanks,
Liston

- Liston Bias                       Love is the only gold.
  Alumnus of Oklahoma State Univ            -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
  Alumnus of Florida State Univ

  bias at pobox.com
  http://www.pobox.com/~bias