[Orca-users] Heterogeneous OS Env. & Orca

Tony Pace tony_pace_ca at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 09:28:57 PDT 2003

Hi Orca Users,

I am new to Orcaware and have perused the lists to obtain
some basic configuration and operational information.

I really require a sanity check in order to justify the level
of effort required to build and deploy Orca in our enterprise production environment. (and then pay Blair for his s/w :-)

We are a mixed shop OS of
- AIX 4.33, 5.1 & 5.2
- Solaris 7,8 & 9
with some HPUX & Linux.

We are running Oracle, DB2 and leveraging Apache/Tomcat for Web.

I understand that the Orca process engine (orcallator.se)
runs "only" in a Solaris environment.

1) Which is the best Solaris version - 7, 8 or 9? (is the i386 Solaris an option)?

2) I am not sure I quite fully understand the mechanism
or if it is fully possible "how" to feed the telemetry/data from my mixed OS environment to the "orcallator.se/Solaris" engine

- are there Orca agents installed on each host
- is there a config key for IP host address
- is it NFS mounted
- other

Great levels of detail will really aid in my proposal
for project approval.

Many thanks in advance,
Tony