[Orca-users] Re: uptime graph modified - keeper?

Hoeke, Johan johan.hoeke at getronics.com
Fri May 2 17:01:44 PDT 2003

Hi Willson.

You wrote:

>I got the impression from reading the mail that Johan is using Orcaware
with HPUX. I thought SE Toolkit only works on Solaris. What is the data
collection tool >Orcaware uses for HPUX?  Regards,Willson Drive

Indeed, I'm using orca to graph my HPUX stats. There's no proc fs to work
with so I set up my own script to collect data. It's certainly not as
extensive as the SE Toolkit data, but it gets me what I need for now. I fill
a logfile using this script and then ftp it over to a linux box where I've
got orca running. As you'll notice I'm mainly interested in monitoring
kernel parameters for now. Working on uptime, etc. Network stats should be
pretty easy to add as well. Hope to add in some more as I go along.
Learning from this list and the excellent orca solaris and linux scripts.

Ps. If your're running HPUX 11.0 there's a patch that allow you to use the
resls -s parameter. Check the ITRC forums for the required patch. Or I'll
mail you details if you like.

Cheers,
Johan

Warning: a bad attempt at programming follows. Look away or cringe in
horror:

# script to check current kernel parameter values
LOG=/var/opt/resmon/log/kernel_param.log
RESLS="/opt/resmon/bin/resls"
PARAMETERS="
/system/kernel_resource/file_system/nfile
/system/kernel_resource/file_system/nflocks
/system/kernel_resource/misc/ncallout
/system/kernel_resource/process_management/nproc
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/message/msgmni
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/message/msgseg
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/message/msgtql
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/semaphore/semmni
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/semaphore/semmns
/system/kernel_resource/system_v_ipc/shared_memory/shmmni"
RESULT=""
for PAR in $PARAMETERS
do
        CURRENT=$($RESLS -s -q $PAR | grep current | awk '{print $8}')
        RESULT="$RESULT $CURRENT"
done
SAR=$(sar|tail -3| head -1|awk '{print $2,$3,$4,$5}')
RESULT="$RESULT $SAR"
echo $(date +%a\ %b\ %d\ %H:%M) $RESULT >>$LOG
ftp ut20 << HERE
put $LOG incoming/kernel_param_ut23.log
quit
HERE

On the orca side:

group kernel_ut23 {
find_files            /home/ftp/incoming/kernel_param_ut23.log
column_description    weekday month day time nfile nflocks ncallout nproc
msgmni msgseg msgtql semmni semmns shmmni sarusr sarsys sarwio saridle
date_source           file_mtime
interval                300
}

plot {
title                   all parameters ut23
source                  kernel_ut23
data                    nfile
data                    nflocks
data                    ncallout