[Orca-users] status.pl by JDK [was Re: Orca License]

kim.taylor at pnc.com kim.taylor at pnc.com
Tue Sep 30 15:30:42 PDT 2003

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
> What issues do you have with procallator?

It may be the only==best choice at present.

It seems to be entirely unknown outside of this interest group which is
disconcerting.  Not that those here are less than elite but it would be
reassuring to see a wider user base for such a critical component.

Who is actively working on it?  I've seen one or two posts indicating a few
folk here have taken stabs at enhancing it.  I have been watching orca-dev
for some time hoping to see an update.

What license is applicable?

It could use a hardy dose of comments to help understand what's in the
poorly documented /proc interface and invite further contributions.

> Yes, we definitely need an OS independent data gatherer.
>
> Here are two projects that I'm aware of:
>
> PCP http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/

PCP today only covers Linux (and how dependent might it be on any
particular variant?)  Not sure there's any real promise of extending it to
other platforms.

> libgtop   http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/libgtop/
>
> libgtop doesn't look too well maintained, while PCP was last released on
> July 16, 2003.

It's hard to find libgtop info anywhere outside of the Gnome environment
and is rather buried there.
Does libgtop evolve independently of Gnome?  Not since an abortive effort
in 2001 it appears.

> Any other packages out there to leaverage?

That's what I wanted to know in the 1st place:  The offhandedly mentioned
'status.pl by JDK' seemed to fall into this category of possible
alternatives.  All I could find in Google was related to OpenNMS.org (which
in itself may be worth exploring?)

KET