[Orca-users] Orca for AIX

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 12:59:04 PST 2004

Yves Dorfsman said:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Perubotla, Siva wrote:
>
>> Can I get Orca for AIX
>
> Orca is a perl script so it will run on anything you want.
>
> Are you asking if there is a set kit for measuring performance on AIX
> with orca ? I don't believe it to be the case, the SE toolkit at the
> moment is specifically for Solaris: http://www.setoolkit.com
>
> Anybody else knows of anything ?

I run it on my Linux system at home.  Obviously, SEToolkit does not work.
Instead, there is a perl script called procallator.pl used as the data
gatherer.  I think it was in the contrib directory.  It gets a lot of data
from the /proc file system (hence its name) but gets some data from
parsing the output of UNIX commands.  I added some additional
functionality for parsing the output that reports my motherboard voltages
and temperatures.  Someone else added a way to get some stats from a web
server.

So, I suppose one could use procallator as a base for collecting data.
There would be a lot of work to do to gather the data from a different OS.
 But, I would think that if it used typical commands to get the data, that
might impose a measurable load on the system you were trying to measure.

See http://www.dennett.org/orca/procallator for a sample.

--
Charlie