[Orca-users] Orca for AIX

Jason D. Kelleher kelleher at bluehen.udel.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:41:58 PST 2004

> I hope that you don't mind, but Blair Zajac suggested that I try
> contacting
> you directly.  I have been having an issue with my 4.3.3 servers not
> recording the CPU utilizations.  The script that you provided in the link
> below is working on my AIX 5.1 servers, but none of the AIX 4.3.3 servers
> are working.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Engelsen
> AIX Administrator

I no longer use the kelleher944 at yahoo.com address and now only
check it quarterly.  There are a number of issues with 4.3.3 be
sure you have BOS.Net.tcp.Client 4.3.3.71 installed (.50 & .51 are
very broken and can cause "netstat -a" to spin) as well as
BOS.acct 4.3.3.52 or later.  If you can't run vmstat manually
on your system these patch sets should fix it.  If not, call IBM
all the script does is run standard utilities and parse the output.
Also make sure you have the disk statistics history enabled (smitty
chgsys -> Continuously maintain DISK I/O history [true]) - per IBM
this does not negatively impact performance so don't let a know-it-all
DBA give you any crap about this setting.

I'm working on a script that attempts to be more tolerant of AIX
bugs (runs everything in evals), but I haven't had any time to polish
it.  Note that I'm not an AIX admin and only work on the AIX stats
collection script under duress.  :)  I'll send out an updated script
in a week or two.  Good luck.

jason