[Orca-users] too many open files issue

Stoltzfus, Mark (HQP) Mark.Stoltzfus at rhi.com
Tue Jul 13 12:48:35 PDT 2004

Blair,
     OpenFileHash is at 100.  I've tried setting the ulimit in the parent
shell to 2048, 4096, etc, but the problem appears to be that no matter what
the ulimit is set to, the perl versions(s) I've got (32 bit) fold(s) at 256
file descriptors.  This is documented in the README.solaris in the perl
source distribution.  The solution mentioned there is to recompile perl with
the -xarch=v9 flag (cc) or -mcpu=v9 & -m64 (gcc) to get the 64-bit version
of perl, but I've tried compiling perl with the 64 bit options with both
Forte 6.0 and gcc (3.2) and had no luck.  If anyone has been successful with
this, please let me know.
     What I didn't mention earlier is that I'm running orca with the -once
option, and if I run it in daemon mode, or run it with the -once without
updating all the orca data for all my hosts (about ~160 hosts) at the same
time, it doesn't give me that error.  Running it with the -no-html option
works fine as well.  When I want to add a host I just run orca with the
-once after updating the orca data only for the new host, and then run orca
from then on out with the -no-html option, and it's perfectly happy.

Thanks again for the help,

Mark