[Orca-users] Orca for Windows

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jun 22 21:00:54 PDT 2004

Rajesh Verma wrote:

> Blair,
> I tries to send the tarball to orcaware but it does not allow big file to transfer.
>
> I found this WINDOW ORCA from my good friend Aaron Geddins.
>
> Attached are the files.
>
> Create a separate directory structure.
>
> SourceFile.pm should be copied to  /opt/orcaNT/lib/Orca
>
> the fl_rename.pl file helps change the window percol files to the orca percol file format.
>
> I hope this helps.

Hi Rajesh,

I'm working on checking this code into Orca's Subversion server.

Do you have any more information on these files that you can share?  Here are
some questions:

Do you have a sample window percol file that I can take a look at so I can see
what the modifications to SourceFile.pm and orca do?

Do you have any instructions on how to set up Windows to log this data?

Do you run these scripts on a Windows box or on a Unix box?

Looking at fl_rename.pl, it doesn't appear necessary.  The find_files
configuration parameter in orcallatorNT.cfg can be changed instead to something
like this, assuming that the data files are named percol-yyyy-mm-dd-hh.

find_files
/opt/orcaNT/var/orcallator/(.*)/percol_\d{10}(?:-\d{2,})?(?:\.(?:Z|gz|tsv|bz2))?

And finally, I use this handy perl script to rename files using a Perl statement:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
# rename script examples from lwall:
#     rename 's/\.orig$//' *.orig
#     rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/ unless /^Make/' *
#     rename '$_ .= ".bad"' *.f
#     rename 'print "$_: "; s/foo/bar/ if <stdin> =~ /^y/i' *

use strict;

my $op = shift;
for (@ARGV) {
   unless (-e $_) {
     print STDERR "$0: $_ does not exist.\n";
     next;
   }

   my $was = $_;
   eval $op;
   die $@ if $@;
   next if $was eq $_;

   print "Renaming $was to $_\n";
   rename($was, $_)
     or warn "$0: cannot rename '$was' to '$_': $!\n";
}

So with a good Perl expression, you could replace fl_rename.pl with a more
general script.

Thanks,

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/