[Orca-users] Config confusion...

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Jun 28 21:14:43 PDT 2004

Andy Harrison wrote:

> I'm having trouble graphing this data and wondered if anyone could
> help me along.
>
> Here's the config file I'm trying out:

Hi Andy,

Wow, our first gmail account!

> pop.cfg
> #REQUIRED OPTIONS
> state_file /usr/local/var/nagios/orca/POP/orca_state.log
> html_dir /usr/local/share/nagios/orca/POP
> rrd_dir /usr/local/share/nagios/orca/POP

For one, putting your html_dir and your rrd_dir in the same directory is not
recommended.

> base_dir /usr/local/
>
> #GENERAL OPTIONS
>
> #GROUP OPTIONS
> group POP {
> find_files /usr/local/var/nagios/orca/POP/input/POP_server1.log
> column_description epoch server servicedesc pluginoutput
> date_source column_name epoch
> #interval 3600
> interval 300
> }
>
> #PLOT OPTIONS
> plot {
> source POP
> title POP
> data pluginoutput
> data_type ABSOLUTE
> line_type AREA
> color ff0000
> data_min 0
> data_max 1000000
> required 1
> plot_width 600
> plot_height 250
> y_legend pluginoutput
> }
>

> And here's some sample data as generated by my script.:
> # ./nagios-grapher.pl -d | grep server1 | grep POP | head
> 1074290315 server1 POP 0.003
> 1074362915 server1 POP 0.003
> 1074464685 server1 POP 0.003
> 1074628735 server1 POP 0.003
> 1074643375 server1 POP 0.014
> 1074729475 server1 POP 0.003
> 1074870934 server1 POP 0.045
> 1075070175 server1 POP 0.003
> 1075219134 server1 POP 0.605
> 1075219554 server1 POP 0.011

If this is all of your data, then the problem is that the 'interval' in your
group {} of 300 is not consistent when the actual data measurement interval,
which looks pretty random to me.

You should really make sure to measure your data as close as possible to an
integer multiple of your 'interval'.  Otherwise RRDtool will interpolate the
data to be an integer multiple of the interval.  If you have too few measurement
for your interval.

Try getting a days or more worth of consistent data at the interval and try
plotting it then.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/