[Orca-users] What should missing values be set to?

Nicholas.Penney at uk.ing.com Nicholas.Penney at uk.ing.com
Tue Jun 29 06:31:49 PDT 2004

I am coding up a script to reformat sar reports into files suitable for
feeding in to the orca plotting process and I now have several files for
testing.

Looking at the original sar file I see lines like this:

	00:00:00 runq-sz %runocc swpq-sz %swpocc
	01:00:01     1.4       1
	02:00:00     1.5       7
	03:00:00     1.4       6
	04:00:00     1.2       4
	05:00:00     5.2      14

Where sar is not filling in values for the swpq-sz and %swpocc fields.  I
have used nulls in the reformatted file for these missing values, but when
the files are fed to the orca process I get this message:

	/apps/orca/bin/orca: number of columns in line 2 of
`/var/orca/data/host01/sar-2004-06-27-000' does not match column
description.

I am guessing that orca does not see the nulls and just skips to the next
fields value, hence finding less values that it has header titles.

What should I place in the reformated file, in place of a null field, to
tell orca there is no value for this field?

The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access
to this Internet email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing ING terms of business or client engagement letter.

Authorised by the Dutch Central Bank and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of UK business.

Visit us at www.ing.com