[Orca-users] "per minute" measurements?

Danny Howard djh at servercentral.net
Tue Jun 29 09:41:17 PDT 2004

Hello,

So, I thought I would try DERIVE to measure counts of mail delivery
results grepped from /var/log/maillog.  I basically have qmail-success
and qmail-deferral, which are incrementing counts of the number of
success and deferral entries from the log.  Because we normally manage
things per second, I thought I could get decent numbers by multiplying
by sixty:

plot {
source    FreeBSD
data      60 * qmail-deferral
data      60 * qmail-success
data_type DERIVE
data_min  0
title     %g Qmail Delivery Status
y_legend  delivery attempts / minute
line_type LINE2
legend    delivery deferred
color     ffaa00
legend    delivery success
color     00dd00
summary_format  %5.0lf
}

But, I keep getting output:
Argument "qmail-deferral" isn't numeric in multiply at (eval 20) line 3,
<FD> chunk 1.
Argument "qmail-success" isn't numeric in multiply at (eval 20) line 3,
<FD> chunk 1.

The graphs look okay, albeit mostly boring, because the test server is
lucky to see 1 result / minute. :)

What can I do to get rid of these error messages?  What is the preferred
way of measuring derivative data at a rate other than "per second"?

Thanks,
-danny

Danny Howard                                    djh at servercentral.net
Technical Support Manager                          (312)829-1111 x235
Server Central Network                   http://www.servercentral.net