[Orca-users] RE: Workload format in orcallator.se

Buhler Justin justin.buhler at torino2006.it
Wed Jun 8 12:50:16 PDT 2005

Yes it did thanks !!!

Justin

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Dmitry Berezin [mailto:dberezin at acs.rutgers.edu]
	Sent: Wed 6/8/2005 9:38 PM
	To: Buhler Justin
	Cc: orca-users at orcaware.com
	Subject: RE: [Orca-users] RE: Workload format in orcallator.se

	Justin,

	In short yes, this is the reason.

	Here is how it works in detail -
	The way usr% (and other cpu times) are calculated is by taking total time
	(total user time, total system time, etc.) for the process(es) of interest
	within given interval, dividing it by that interval and multiplying it by
	100 to get a percentage. On a multi-processor system, multiple processes use
	different CPUs at the same time, which is not being accounted for while
	percentages are calculated. By dividing that number by the number of CPUs,
	we get an average CPU usage for the whole system, which is what we need for
	performance and trend analysis. I suppose it would be possible to get a per
	CPU usage numbers, but this would require more coding.
	I decided to record the actual time (which could obviously be greater then
	100% for a group of processes) in case somebody has a need to plot it. For
	instance, if one has systems with different numbers of CPUs and runs the
	same application on them, it might be useful to see how the application
	behaves on these systems by comparing the total CPU usage (say 150% on one
	system vs. 125% on the other). For my systems I only need to see the system
	performance, not the application, so I do the division while plotting.

	Did this answer your question?

	  -Dmitry.