[Orca-users] installation problems ...

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu Jun 16 12:31:52 PDT 2005

Peter -

I notice you're using some other rev of Perl, in /usr/local/bin.  Not
sure what rev that is, but something in there could be causing you
headaches.

For build r455, the following steps worked for me using Solaris 9 and
the stock Perl.  In fact, it's a bourne-shell script I wrote for myself
that I can run on any of my Solaris 9 boxes, and install Orca with one
simple command.  Note that the steps unbundle the sourcecode from the
untouched downloaded tar file, so no special utilities are required,
such as a newer version of Perl, or a newer RRD.  If you need these
things for some reason, YMMV.

    #!/bin/sh
    # Note: before running this script, do the following:
    # modify /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm
    #   - set 'cccdlflags' to be blank
    #   - set 'optimize' to be blank

    umask 002

    # my typical path starts out as:
    # /opt/free/bin /opt/sfw/bin /opt/sfw/gcc-3/bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin
    /usr/ucb /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ccs/lib
    # /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210/sbin /bin /usr/openwin/bin
    /usr/dt/bin /usr/proc/bin
    #  /usr/bin/nsr /usr/sbin/nsr /usr/sadm/bin /usr/local/bin
    # Add explicit Perl path to the end, so that 'pod2man' and similar
    commands work
    PATH=${PATH}:/usr/perl5/5.00503/bin
    export PATH

    # note: gcc rev 3.2.2
    CC=gcc
    export CC
    rm -rf orca-snapshot-r455
    bzcat /npd/dmichael/src/orca-snapshot-r455.tar.bz2 | tar xvfp -
    cd orca-snapshot-r455
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/orca
    --with-html-dir=/npd/dmichael/www/orca-eval
    --with-var-dir=/extra/var/orca --with-rrd-dir=/extra/var/
    orca/rrd --with-ncsa-log=/var/apache/logs
    # note: gmake rev 3.80
    gmake
    gmake check
    gmake install